Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Offer

We want you to join the group he said. I have discussed it with the Financial Director of the group and I have an offer for you. First of all housing expenses will all be paid by us and we will also pay your tickets (family included) to visit home 3 times a year. Come on, our hero said, this is something that all expatriates have. Tell me about the salary and the bonus. Our hero heard the number and made some quick calculations. It was not good enough. The money was slightly more, about 10%, than he made with his wife at home. This assuming that we would receive his bonus. It is not enough he said immediately. Sorry my friend, but this is not worth it. I am not taking such a risk and moving my family to the other part of the world for a 10% increase in our income. And don’t talk to me about housing expenses and tickets. Wait, said the HR Director. There is more.

No comments: